Saturday, April 14, 2012

Into the Woods - Part 3

Into the Woods - Part 3

Last part, and it's a short one. "Shh!" I said, stopping mid-sentence while explaining my catch. "Demi, what is it?" Joe whisper shouted. "Shh!" I silenced him again and waited, and then I heard it again. "There," I pointed in the direction it came from. "Don't you hear it?" "No." We waited a few minutes. "Hello!" This time it rang out clearly across the lake. I jumped to my feet. "Hello," I called back. "We're over here." About a hundred yards down the beach, a man waved over to us. I hesitated for a moment, but as he got closer, I noticed he was carrying a fishing rod and I could see the different hooks sticking to his hat and instantly the man reminded me of my uncle when he used to fish, and I knew I didn't need to be afraid of him. And, as it turns out, I really didn't. The man, Jim, was on a fishing trip with his sons and he had seen us from across the lake. He figured he would come and say "hi" and make sure we were okay. Since we both obviously weren't, he offered to! give us a ride to the hospital. He radioed his oldest son and got him to bring their truck over. Joe and I rode in the bed all the way to the hospital. I sat next to him, running my fingers through his hair while he watched me. "Demi," he said softly. "Yeah Joe?" "Why didn't you try and go for help? Why did you keep looking for me?" "Because I knew I would find you." "How?" "Because Joe," I sighed. "No matter where you go, and no matter how long it takes, I will always find you." I smiled down at him ...





0 comments: